Wednesday, July 9, 2014

What I've Been DIYing: Let There Be Light!

Maybe it's the warm weather, but I've been bitten hard by the DIY bug lately. My recent rampage seems to have taken on a "lighting" theme. I've got several ideas in the works. However, I NEED YOUR HELP! I have done plenty of DIYing in the past, but I'd love to get any helpful tips or feedback.


Office Lamp
I had a leftover green drum shade from the move and a dark corner in my office. It's a match made in heaven, right? However, what to use as the lamp base? Do I want to just buy an old floor lamp stand from the thrift store or go with something more ambitious? Apparently, my answer is always "something more ambitious." After perusing the internetz and finding several inspiring ideas such as this great upcycled tripod lamp, I decided I wanted the same antique/industrial look. After scouring the antique malls around town, I ended up finding an old painter's easel that I thought would do just fine (and for only $30!).

Please ignore the giant pile of dishes in the sink.

I have gathered most of the necessary supplies (bought a bad wire so I've got to mend that), but I'm now in a bit of a pickle. A tripod offers a clear and easy method of attaching the socket to the base. Not so with this easel. Any suggestions?

                             "Pipe nipples" *giggle snort*                 What I imagine the finished product will look like.


Gazebo Lamps
The next two projects are in a much earlier stage than the first. I have a pretty stellar gazebo that came with the house. It's all natural wood and has great stone work as the base. I love it but I'd like to use it more. I got a cute little chandelier light from Home Depot to provide some more light, but I'd like to have some hanging lights/lanterns between each column, as well, since the chandelier doesn't create much light. My idea was to recycle small lamp shades and hang them upside down to use as votive holder or something similar. Maybe use the battery-powered votives? I want to spray paint them dark blue and punch small holes in them to give them a starry sky look. Ideas?

My chandelier is much like a Disney Channel star - adorable but not very bright.

This is my super-professional Paint sketch of the basic idea for the lamp shades.

Globe Lamp
This might be the one I'm most excited and apprehensive about. I love globes and everything they stand for - how small our little planet is, the history of all the chunks of land we call countries, my love of travel. So, I wanted to find a way to use an old globe as a light fixture but had no idea where to find one. The antique malls were fresh out of globes under $200 and they just aren't sold in stores like they once were. Etsy, as always, was the answer. I found this great globe for only $25 and ordered it immediately.

Vintage world globe - Cram's Imperial World Globe - 12 inches diameter - metal base
Ain't it just the sweetest little Earth you ever did see?

It is 12'' in diameter so it will be perfect as a lamp, but how to use it? I found several ideas in which people had basically sawed globes in half and used them as hanging lights but the idea of taking apart this perfectly preserved globe made me sad. I would like to find a way to run the wiring through the base so that it can still spin around the light bulb, but I haven't gotten to look at it in person yet. Are you struck with any inspring ideas for this great globe? I may be in over my head, but I can't wait to tackle these projects!

Are you in the middle of any projects? Do you have any experience you'd be willing 
to share regarding DIY lighting?

1 comment:

  1. As with the easel floor lamp, is there a gap where the 3 legs meet at the very top? If so, you may be able to place the socket and thread the cord through it. If not, you may have to disassemble the easel or at least loosen the legs to get a small gap at the top. Well, to at least make a hole big enough for the cord. As for the socket, you could get a small round flat piece of wood from Hobby Lobby and then drill a hole big enough for the nipple to fit into and then assemble your socket. Therefore, it becomes a base for your light bulb to rest on. I used this method to make a base for the bulb for my lantern lamps.

    As for the small LED lamps for your gazebo, you could try maybe mason jar hanging lamps? Here's some cute projects I found via Pinterest:

    5 Great Outdoor Mason Jar Lighting Projects

    Another thing you could do if you wanted to be more eco-friendly would be to ask around for empty soda cans (or even tin cans!) and use the metal from that to make your "lamp shades" and punch holes in it with an ice pick. Here's another link for ideas:

    17 Outdoor Lighting Ideas for the Garden

    For a globe table lamp, I saw a few converted lamps at this links that may give you ideas:

    World Globe Table Lamp

    CIJ SALE World Globe Table Lamp

    Those 2 seemed like they would preserve the body of the globe and maybe keep it's spinny properties. I hope my advice will be helpful in your crafty endeavors!

    ReplyDelete