Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Blogging for Books

I have been wrestling with the idea of doing reviews on this blog. I certainly intend to do some music reviews, but book reviews seemed so much more serious - a much bigger responsibility. After seeing my friend Stefani and other bloggers do them so well, I am giving it a shot.

I have officially registered for the Blogging for Books program. I had some reservations at first after reading another blogger's story about why she decided to stop doing reviews for them. However, after giving it careful consideration I decided that the issues she had were either not important to me or were resolved by the company, The Crown Publishing Group, which is rare and nice to hear. The Crown Publishing Group is an imprint of Random House, for those who care to know. I will be getting my first book from them in the next week or two, so look out for a book review for them soon!


To be clear, there are two things that this does NOT mean:
1) I will not be reviewing only books through this program. I also will review books I pick up at libraries and book stores.

2) I will not only be reviewing books on this blog.

The latter was another reservation of mine. I created this blog to be a little more specific than my first one. If I took up doing book reviews, I thought it might only make sense to stick to just doing that. Instead, I will likely be reviewing a book twice a month or so. I read much more often than that, but I want there to be some level of balance in my blog.

I am really looking forward to getting my books in the mail because then it's sort of a "job." I like being held accountable and having some homework to do especially when I get to choose the subject and time frame.

So, this leads me to a question for my blogging and blog-reading friends. Do you prefer blogs that do just one thing really well? Or do you like to have a variety of content on the blogs you follow? I expect the answer will be "both" in many cases, but I'd love to hear your input!

>>>

On another note, if you're interested in joining the program and would rather not read through everything on their page, feel free to comment, email, or tweet at me! Or you can just sit back and watch to see if I fail miserably in a fiery blaze.

No comments:

Post a Comment