Monday, June 16, 2014

Post-Move Catch Up

"More tomorrow." That's what I told you OVER A WEEK AGO. I am a liar and I am ashamed. However, I feel somewhat justified in my blog break. Last week was my first week of work and I really needed to focus on that and on getting my puppy in a sustainable routine. Now that that's done, back to blogging!

On my second day of work, I had the opportunity to help with a Mobile Food Bank that the university and various local organizations including the middle school and St. Vincent de Paul Food Pantry partner to bring to the community. Every other month, the food bank is hosted on campus and I will be the new point person organizing this and getting volunteers for it. At the end of the food bank, over 130 families were fed. In talking with one of my new colleagues, she said that is just the tip of the iceberg. I live in a small town, but there is a high percentage of people without reliable food sources including children and the elderly. A few years ago, I probably thought that people who used food pantries and shelters were living on the streets and most likely dealing with some mental illness or addiction. Over the years, I have come to realize the average person we meet at school or in line at the post office can be struggling for meals. It was a great experience and I look forward to many more.



Preparing the food for the participants to pick up.

I've also gotten to do some exploring around the area. The Hill Country, as this area is known as, is beautiful and you never know when going around a corner will present you with a breath-taking view. Coming into my town, there is a large sculpture garden a non-denominational Christian group funded a few years ago. While some of the atmosphere was a bit overwhelming (there was live worship music playing in the background and I am a little cheesed out by that stuff), the rest of it surrounded by the natural beauty of the area was wonderful. I enjoyed visiting it with my family and intend to do so again, just hopefully when there are not people there asking me if I've read the pamphlet.

The centerpiece of the garden is an enormous cross. 
I tried to get some people in the shot for perspective.



Possibly my favorite aspect of the garden was this path of stones.
Visitors are encouraged to write down prayers and praises and lay
them along the path. I really liked the idea.

This is a view from the top of the hill on which the garden sits. 
This place is just so beautiful and I can't believe I 
get to live here.

I promise to bring you more this week! I will most likely not be posting every day, but I am aiming for 3 times a week so hang with me. Later this week, I'll be bringing you some music I've been working on and the highlights of a benefit motorcycle wash I'll be supervising this Friday. Have a great Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment