Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Moving to Texas: Day 1

WHEW! Hi, again. So sorry it's been a while since my last post but moving is already a hassle - adding in the 11-hour drive and all the odds and ends that comes with that has been exhausting. However, I couldn't be happier. This house is amazing in so many ways. It's like I've walked into the Room of Requirement requiring a perfect little house and BAM here it is served on a silver platter. Below are some photos of our progress so far.



My first discovery of perfection included not one but TWO hobbit doors added as gates in my backyard by the J.R.R. Tolkien fan who refurbished this house. I mean really. I think at this point I almost cried.


One of the even more bittersweet and wonderful moments of my day included unpacking the large hope chest my paternal grandmother put together for me before she died in 2010. This is one of her recipes in a beautiful glass dish and a porcelain figure of a bluebird on a branch. Her touch and memory were so present as I uncovered treasure after treasure that she had so thoughtfully included in my gift. 


As a young kid, this napkin holder was my favorite. She included it especially for me and I love thinking about the time I spent with her and the care she took picking these things out.


The entirety of the dishes, keepsakes, and kitchen supplies my grandmother left for me. I had to hold my phone as high as I could reach (which isn't that high, but it's still something) to take this photo. Thank you, Grandma. It means more than you know.


Our first real home-cooked meal in my house. My family had steaks and I had salmon with potatoes, salad, and bread. Now it even smells like home.


My mom and I painstakingly unpacked and set up my kitchen for most of the afternoon. I didn't get a photo, but the curtain rods have little white owls on the end. Again, perfection.



The dining room came with a beautiful built-in perfect for showcasing some of the amazing things from my hope chest given to me by my grandmother.


My brother is helping break in my new couch and my all-time favorite art piece painted for me by the wonderful Cindy Thomas hangs as the centerpiece of my living room. It includes an Amelia Earhart quote (my hero) stating, "Do not interrupt someone doing what you said couldn't be done."


A better shot of my adorable little living room!


My bedroom, ironically, has gotten very little unpacked and is basically just a hole to sleep in for now. I'll start on it tomorrow!


The bathroom was decorated mostly by my mother and, of course, looks amazing. Special shout out to my friend, Tekita, for providing the artwork hanging above my toilet.


Can I just take a moment to point out this magnificent clock I found in Bed, Bath and Beyond? Such a great addition to my dining room. And yes, the spoon is a working pendulum.


Mom found a perfect place for my salt and pepper shakers as well as my tea.


Needless to say, I am in love with this house. I haven't even shown you the outside or backyard yet so hold on to your socks because they're about to be rocked right off! Day 2 coming soon!

2 comments:

  1. This is so exciting!!! It makes me sad that now you're even further away, but I'm so glad you have your own place! There's little in life more comforting than that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! I can't wait to come visit - it really does look like perfection!!!! eeek!

    ReplyDelete