Thursday, June 19, 2014

Life of a Blogger: School

Life of a Blogger is a weekly feature hosted by The Novel Heartbeat in order to highlight the things bloggers do when they aren't blogging. You can see the full list of topics HERE
This week's topic is school!

******

Man, I could go on forever about this topic. I'll try to keep it short and chronological.

My high school experience was abnormally wonderful. I was the new kid on the block in a way because I had attended school in a different school district for each major transition. I went to a Catholic elementary school in Jackson, MS through 5th grade. I then attended a public middle school in Byram, MS through 8th grade. My dad got a job teaching English and coaching women's soccer at a school north of Jackson while I was in middle school. That school district was much better than the high school my middle school fed into so I decided to go to the school where dad taught.

Although it was difficult to create my own identity since everyone already knew "Coach A," it was clear early on that I had made the right decision. I joined band and got involved in the newspaper, SGA, and other activities. I had an incredibly intelligent and good-natured circle of friends. We all still keep in touch and we got together regularly over holiday breaks in college. Half of them are in med school now (this isn't an exaggeration) and others are doing wonderful things across the nation and world. I'm lucky to have had such a great experience and I'm grateful for it all the time. I actually look forward to my 10-year reunion which I know is pretty rare.
My two best friends, Victoria and Virginia. They're twins. I'm basically their triplet they never had. 
This photo is evidence that I really haven't changed since high school, hair cut notwithstanding.

Taken at a theme park on our senior band trip.

Me with my dad at prom. Oh yeah...I was prom queen. 
I always forget that happened.

My undergrad was not where I imagined myself, and I am so very grateful for that. I had originally planned to attend Ole Miss. I even had a room, roommate (another friend of mine from high school), and band audition lined up. But then I attended a weekend-long leadership conference at Mississippi University for Women and I was sold. I came home knowing without a doubt that the W was my home. This is why I have the "W Blogger" button to the right.

I could write a novel about my experiences at the W and still couldn't capture the immense change, learning, and love I experienced in my time there. My years in undergrad were some of the roughest in my personal life. I lost a lot and my W support group held me together. I didn't make friends, I made family. I changed my major to English Education with TESOL Certification and grew a lot academically. I was involved all four years in the Hearin Leadership Program. This program is almost solely responsible for my decision to become a Student Affairs professional. I have so many mentors and confidants from the W. But the biggest impact were the sisters I made. I have a little brother and was a tomboy growing up, so "sisterhood" wasn't really my gig. Little did I know.

I was in two social clubs in my time at the W. Social clubs are the W equivalent to sororities (almost) but are unique only to that school. I was a Reveler from my freshman year until halfway through my junior year when I became too swamped with school work, my jobs, and my upcoming teacher internship. I was also a Jester, a two-year club typically for juniors and seniors. I was "called" as a sophomore and was president my junior year. In each of these groups, I made sisters that will be in my life and my heart until the day I die. Again, I could probably write a novel about each of these amazing women, but I'll spare you. Needless to say, I love MUW and, if the time is right, I would take the opportunity to return to my alma mater as a professional. (Just BTW/FYI, MUW is co-ed and I made a lot of male friends here, too!)

Revelers!

My Jester line! (Numbers are a thing with both clubs. 
I'd explain it to you...but I'd have to kill you.)

Taken at a Hearin High School Conference in my time as a conference student leader. 
Obviously, dancing is an essential aspect of leadership.

Stefani (from Caught Read Handed). She is truly a bonus sister for me. I love her so much that I spent Christmas with her in Scotland in 2012. What a sacrifice, right? She's at the top of my list of the most hardworking, intelligent people I know. Go check out her blog and you'll agree.

My  Reveler"Little" (little sister), Katherine, and I at a Halloween function on campus. 
She was Rudolph. I was zombie Justin Bieber. We are equal in goober-dom and 
I am blessed to call her mine. 

Two of my best friends, Devan (left) and Lacy (middle). 
Only true BFFs dress as hobbits with you for Trunk or Treat.

Stefani, Lacy, Dr. Pieschel, and I at graduation. These three women really changed my life 
and I thank God for them as often as I can remember to.


I attended Mississippi State for my graduate degree. It was only a short ways from my undergrad and by the grace of God, Lacy got a job/accepted there, too. We lived together for a year before that and continued to live together in Starkville through my two years at State. She's one of the rare people with whom I could share a home and be perfectly content. I miss her pretty bad. Let's not talk about it.

Anyway, State was an experience. It was 10 times larger than my undergrad, had an actual athletics program (gasp!), and was very...different...from what I was used to. But I enjoyed my time there and made some wonderful friends and colleagues. Hail State!

Two of my best friends from my cohort at MSU. Tekita (left) and Brittany (middle) 
are amazing women and are going to change the lives of their students, guaranteed.

My entire cohort in our maroon. Someone made a joke and forgot to tell 
me they were taking another photo. Typical.

This incredibly long post brought to you by my exacerbated sentimental reminiscence.

Your turn: Where did you go to school or what life experience was the equivalent of school for you?



11 comments:

  1. Awesome blog post Noelle. So many good memories at the W with you guys. You have done an incredible job at making great friends and an amazing life for yourself. Super proud to call you a friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ditto. :) I was so proud and happy to see your blog highlighted on the W website. Can't wait to see what all you do with your life!

      Delete
  2. I'm proud to be a member of your W family, Noelle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bridget, you are one of the ones I could have written a novel about, for sure. I'm so glad my lost little self found you.

      Delete
  3. I love you and miss you terribly, LW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss you too, Squeaker! Looking forward to updates on your new life in Norfolk!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Angela, I owe you a life supply of brownies for introducing me to my second home. :)

      Delete
    2. Brownies, you say? I'll keep that in mind. But I'm also just happy to know that all those days on the road, all those crazy questions, were worth it!

      Delete