Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Two Dates in Two Days

So...I've been on two dates in the past two days. They were awesome. I really enjoyed being with the other person and I intend on doing it again. My first date was on Sunday night with a new friend I made and her pup, Baron. The other was with myself.



Yeah, I was misleading you on purpose and that was probably incredibly anti-climactic. I'm just devilish that way. But seriously, I had a great time on both outings. I'll be blogging more about my doggy date with Hannah and Baron over on my fellow W blogger and friend Dustin Vance's blog this week. For my solo date last night, I decided to finally go see The Fault In Our Stars and then I took a drive around town to explore the area more.

On TFIOS - wow. I mean, of course the film had to leave out some of the details I loved in the book, but they did a phenomenal job. I'm not a very outwardly emotional person and I found myself having feelings. I think I've cried in public twice. This movie was almost time number three. Please, read the book (or listen to it on Audiobook) and go see the movie. Both are very well done, sensitive, funny, honest works.

But more generally, it was just nice to have some "me time." Not that I don't have it in spades now. I don't have any friends here yet (working on that as mentioned above) and there isn't exactly a "night life" in my small town. But that's okay because I prefer to be alone and I have plenty to explore. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE having friends, especially a small circle I can call up and be with. But I am an introvert at heart and I enjoy doing things for myself, experiencing them full-on and absorbing it with no other people diffusing the now-ness of the moment. I had friends back home that could be with me, just be. But it takes time to find those people and I don't expect to just jump into that kind of relationship here. Okay, now I'm getting away from the subject. I'll save the rest of that thought for my guest post on Dustin's blog.

On my way back from the movie theater, I was taken by how beautiful my new home is. I live in what is referred to as the Hill Country and it's obvious why. By the time the movie was over, it was nearing dusk and the thunder storm in the distance was making for a beautiful sunset. I found a winding road through some hills I had yet to explore and I happened upon this view and a subsequent walking trail.

View from the bridge/road. I couldn't resist getting this shot.
Made me wish I had had more than just my iPhone camera. This is the
Guadalupe River for those interested. This river runs right through
the heart of my town and the surrounding area.

Hidden walking trail under said bridge.

You might not make it out, but there was a doe (center of the photo) looking at me peacefully across this field on the other side of the walking bridge. We looked at each other for a while
 then she led me to a frozen pond in which I found the sword of Gryffindor. 
Okay, not really (but maybe...I'LL NEVER TELL). 

The walking bridge that I thought would lead to a path but really led into a neighborhood
and lots of private property that I was tempted to trespass upon.

Sadly, this was also private property, lucky suckers. It was a beautiful spot 
and I really wish I could have had a closer look at it. 


So, that was my date. It was lovely and peaceful and I look forward to many more.

*******

Your turn: do you ever "take yourself on a date" or do you prefer to be with other people?

4 comments:

  1. Your comment about the movie made me think of the incredible movie I saw this weekend. I had never heard of it, read a good review and found it playing in only one theater on my side of Atlanta. It is Words and Pictures with Clive Owen and Juliette Brioch. Two prep school teachers, one English literature and the other honors art, square off to prove which is more powerful: words or pictures. I left the theater feeling as though I had been immersed in both disciplines. A very satisfying film!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds really interesting! I'll have to check it out.

      Delete
  2. It's nice to go places on your own sometimes. I traveled on my own a lot when I was studying in the UK and absolutely loved it. I could hike at my own pace and stop to take photos without being left behind. These days I sit behind my computer a lot working from home, and need constant reminders to get out and do things too. BTW have you read The Artist's Way?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude, I love taking myself on dates. The best are quiet walks/bike rides by the Willamette River, or hanging up in my ENO (hammock) and reading Game of Thrones. I love hanging out with others and am a total extrovert, but sometimes, a nice relaxing day to myself is definitely welcomed. Awesome post and Hill Country looks gorgeous. The river shot is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete